Thursday, July 17, 2008

Struck

I like many have been to the Newfrontiers Conference in Brighton, England, and like almost everyone else was gloriously inspired by the preaching and teaching. But another thing struck me while there and I thought I would just share that.
During the worship, which was lead with absolute grace and awareness of the guidance of the Spirit (Well done Simon Brading), the consciousness of the work of Christ inspired by His love for me has come upon me with real force.

When I think about all that I can tend to be distracted by (life situations, leadership, ministry, personal development) it seems that God has reminded me in these days of the wonder and gratitude I actually have towards Christ for His atoning work on my behalf. ‘Atoning work’ you may ask, well let me explain…
The holiness of the person of God demands that justice towards any form of evil must be shown. The love of God means He wants to make a way for those who are ‘unholy’, deserving of justice, to enter relationship with Him. We, stuck in ‘unholiness’ are unable to enter this relationship because we deserve just punishment for our wilful rebellion to God. Enter Christ as an obedient perfect substitute (His life for mine) to take on Himself the punishment for sin I deserve. This enables me, by faith, to accept this work (the work of atonement) of Christ on my behalf in order to receive the rewards of His life and obedience: a righteous standing before this Holy God.

This baffles me, why the most glorious, beautiful, loving being would give His life for me, offer me His righteousness in exchange for my sin.
What love is this, so divine
That demands my soul, my life, my all.

Simon

No comments: