Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Logical Conclusions

Martin Lloyd Jones was an outstanding preacher even before he got to Westminster Chapel in London. I am reading a book of his Evangelistic Sermons preached while in Aberavon in Wales, so insightful and extremely enriching. The most recent sermon I have read, referring to Herod’s fascination with John the Baptist and yet lack of commitment to the Baptist’s preaching, reaches a pinnacle as he challenges us to draw conclusions logically (a missing element to much current thought) to the gospel. I thought I would share it with you

Have you ever followed the gospel to its logical conclusion? If not do so know. Here is the argument. How simple and how logical it is. There is God, the judge eternal. Here am I, the sinner. God demands certain things of me and has made them quite plain and clear in His law, which is also attested by my own conscience. I have to appear before Him. Do what I will, it cannot be avoided. And I am guilty, and I am told that for the guilty there is nothing but damnation and hell. But here comes the gospel offer which tells me that Christ having died for me, God is willing and ready to pardon and forgive me, and give me a new life, and that he calls upon me to leave my sin and give myself entirely to God and to do all I can to please Him whatever that may involve. Refusal means eternal damnation, acceptance means eternal life. I do not know how long I shall live; I have no control over the length of my life. The offer is there now, is open at the present moment. Surely there is only one thing to do and that is to act at once.

Simon

No comments: