Monday, July 7, 2008

Personal Revelation

This one should be brief, I think.
Been a follower of Jesus for over 15 years now. It was June the 20th 1993 that the grace and love of God in Jesus overpowered my hardness and rebellion of heart and brought me into relationship with God as I believed wholeheartedly on all the work of Christ on my behalf.
Two weeks ago, something struck me as I wrote in my journal (no not lightning) and it was this:
Things are not easier for me now as a father and husband then they were when I was a carefree 17 year old filled with all the excitement of future and freedom of youth. Living the Christian life, in fact, is no easier. Every day is not a bed of roses and no matter how hard I try to find my delight in how wonderful it is to be living the Christian life, this would be ill-placed delight. So then what is the delight, what is supposed to be so much better these 15 years on? Why start the whole thing off if it gets no easier?
Easy, and this is what struck me! It is fellowship with Him, it’s knowing Jesus! It is the ineffable glorious delight of being in relationship with He who is both God and man. It is the certain truth that I have a friend who is greater than any foe, someone who loves me not because of what I bring to the relationship—but because he has already put his life on the line to insure that we will never know the terror of being apart (this terror is an eternity separated from every good thing, even the knowledge of goodness). I am loved by Jesus and I will never, ever, ever plum the depths of knowing him or exhaust the joy of being known by Him.
Simon

No comments: