Tuesday, July 29, 2008

3 Years Till Friendship

Last Wednesday my wife and I celebrated 3 years of marriage. It seems like such a short time, especially when I compare it to the length of time that some of the people that I am close to have been married. Yet, many, many marriages in this day and age do not make it to 3 years. For far too many people 3 years is just too long to actually ‘love’ someone, to move past that celebrity or reality TV show love and get to something that involves commitment and trust.
Please do not think for one moment that I am saying 3 years is the perfect length of time for marriage after which there is no divorce- I certainly am not.

In fact the reason I am writing is to just note something wonderful that I think has taken place in our relationship in the 12 months since our last anniversary (obviously). Before now, there were always one or two guys that I would have said were my closest mates, but now my wife has slotted wonderfully into that position. She alone has read the pages of my life to a degree that no other has; she alone knows my vulnerabilities and heart aches; she alone has touched the deepest parts of my soul and interacted with what lies in there: the good and the really not so good.

Ironically, this closeness, this shift has taken place in a season of real hardship, pain and loneliness for us. Yes, God has worked a miracle in our relationship to strengthen and deepen it so I can now lean so fully upon her and open myself up completely to her.

Marriage is a beautiful thing!

Simon

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So good! I am smiling with my face and my heart!