Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Upholding His Holiness

In the final verses of the book of Deuteronomy when Moses has climbed on to a mountaintop upon which he knows he is to die, for the Lord has told him such, we read these simply heart-halting words:
"There on the mountain that you have climbed you will die... this is because you did not uphold my holiness among the Israelites."
Chapter 32: 50-51

These words rocked me this morning while sitting in Starbucks in Temple, Texas. They struck me particularly, I guess, because I am so very near to stepping into a position of leadership over God's people-the position that Moses had (obviously in a way that will never be equalled (scripture says that at the very end of the book of Deuteronomy.)) Also, a friend had asked me just last night what it was I fear as I step into this position in the New Year. Having read these words I see the single thing that I must fear.

It is easy to fear the ramifications of my own insecurities: the desire for recognition; success defined by numbers; a competitive spirit, but these things just must not be what I fear as I step into this role and fulfill my calling.
I must fear the Lord. I must primarily desire to fulfill what is hidden in this astonishing phrase, "Upholding His Holiness." What does it mean? And, Lord Jesus by the power of Your Spirit please never let me fail in this area.

I want to expound this phrase at some stage, but for now I think it is of absolute importance that I take to heart how it is that such a mighty man of God would be denied the joy of entering the promised land of God. He did not enter that place because he failed in this area: UPHOLDING THE HOLINESS OF GOD!

God help me my great Helper.
Simon

No comments: