Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Leaving Church

We’re leaving our church. Had enough really, looking for something that is more ‘us.’
NO NO, I am joking big time! Strangely, there are scores of people I know, and tens of thousands that I don’t, who see church attendance with this consumerism mentality. It is a bit of a tragedy really and I am sure it does not reflect the heart of Christ when He sets out the importance of loving a local family of believers and giving all of oneself to become a ‘member’ of that family.

I am sure Christ really did not compensate for the, “Well I am not too sure I can do church without a smoke machine Nigel;” or the, “Cyril those drums are just too loud and I know that God would not have it that way in heaven” approach to church. Oh I know He knows it exists and always knew it would, but I do not think that reflects His fascination with the local church.

I am certainly of the opinion that it is essential to find a place where you fit and where you know you can participate. I just think it is important we set out biblical precedents as to the governing paradigm determining where we live out our Christian faith. The effects of consumerism are so widespread that I am certain very few people really come to grips with them. We must search our hearts and embody Christ’s powerful lesson that ‘to give is better than to receive.’

Ps. We are leaving our church but I can’t quite say why or where yet… watch this blogspace!

Simon

No comments: