Thursday, July 19, 2012

Do not Focus on the Body

Tomorrow I encounter one of the difficult moments every Pastor dreads: the funeral of a wonderful, godly young man. It could, of course, be infinitely worse - and I do mean infinitely - I could be taking the funeral of a ungodly young man. All the same it is permeated with difficulty.
One particular difficulty that I've encountered in the passing into glory of this precious man has been the unhealthy, and unbiblical focus on the body that remains. I know I am speaking into things laced with immense emotion but it is essential that we understand all things, particularly things like life and death, biblically.
Here are thoughts of the marvellous English Pastor of the 17th Century Richard Baxter that are notably helpful. His intention within the context of this book, Dying Thoughts, is to impress upon us the truth that this body must be left behind to enjoy our eternal inheritance with Christ. His style is incisive and, obviously, of another age, but his words drive home the point of which I feel we should be aware as Christians - of ANY culture.
(Please note that I am fully aware that his view of the body is somewhat overly Platonic but he is certainly exposing a biblical view within such.)

"I must depart from this body itself, and the life which consists in the animating of it. These eyes must here see no more; this hand must move no more; these feet must walk no more; this tongue must speak no more: as much as I have loved and over-loved this body, I must leave it to the grave. There must it lie and dissolve in darkness, as a neglected thing... It is but an instrument laid by when all its work is done, and a servant dismissed when his service is at an end.
... Or at most, it is but as flowers die in the fall, and plants in winter, when the retiring spirits have done their work, and are indisposed to dwell in so cold and unmeet a habitation, as the season makes their former matter then to be. Its retirement is not its annihilation, but its taking up a fitter place.
It is but a separation from a troublesome companion, and putting off a shoe that pinched me. Many a sad and painful hour I have had in this frail and faultering flesh; many a weary night and day : what cares, what fears, what griefs, and what groans, hath this body cost me? Alas! how many hours of my precious time have been spent to maintain it, please it, or repair it? How considerable a part of all my life hath been spent in necessary sleep and rest? ...
Yea, to depart from such a body, is but to be removed from a very foul, uncleanly and sordid habitation. I know that the body of man and brutes is the curious, wonderful work of God, and not to be despised, nor injuriously dishonoured, but admired and well used: but yet it is a wonder to our reason, that so noble a spirit should be so meanly housed: we may call it 'our vile body,' as the apostle doth...
"

Simon

No comments: