Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Church is People

This afternoon we have a wonderful couple with us. They're both in their 50s, he's fighting an ever growing number of ailments, she's trying to hold down a job while looking after her dude and keeping their heads above water and... they are simply remarkable for our church. In fact I would say they are two of the primary components of our being repeatedly termed "a loving family" - they are much more responsible for that then I am as the lead Elder. This morning I met with a simply wonderful retiree in his 60s. The part he's had to play in grabbing the administrative oversight of our church by the proverbial "horns" is pretty much impossible to overstate. The blessing and encouragement he is to me, my wife and young kids - the fact that he & his wife know my kids birthdays better than me. His resilience, his love of the Lord, his passion for giving, his constant and consistent attendance to the life events of the church encourage all around him of every age. Then there's the guy who's busier than any other human I know and yet gives more time, love, and energy to this church than anyone, who still has time to rush with me late last evening to grab a wardrobe for our new home without even the slightest hesitation. A man who I know for the first 5 weeks we've been at West Herts College has arrived first and left last to make sure it's all done. A man who carries this family and bears the burden of their spiritual care with all he is. Do I go on to mention the lady who has every reason to moan, to milk the system, to demand her needs be met, to scream angrily at God who instead gives almost every waking hour to serving this church administratively and pastorally. Those laden with family concerns who lead explore groups and devote hours to caring for others. And so on... Then of course, conversely there are those you couldn't be certain would come to three consecutive Sundays, who are too busy to give any time outside of the 2 hour session on Sunday that we are 'privileged' to receive from them. Singles and young couples that have just too many things they need to focus on - things of course I wouldn't understand! - to give of themselves to the church and to others... Church is people! Simon

No comments: