Wednesday, April 22, 2009

The Heart of Job

Job is a stunning book of scripture. When one peers into the torment he receives at every side all the while retaining his righteousness and 'not sin[ning] against God', you have to be amazed. His interactions with his 'friends' are quite insightful and some of the comments made in an almost 'off the cuff' fashion are theologically rich and inspiring.

A verse that struck me today (and I have read the book of Job many times) was this verse in chapter 23. It is verse 12
"I have not departed from the commands of [God's] lips; I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my daily bread."

Suddenly a huge area of the life and heart of Job is unveiled for me and I can see maybe one central foundational reason for his ability to endure incomparable suffering, all the while remaining a worshiper of God. He lived upon the word of God, he loved it, fed on it, no even feasted upon it! His mind was formed by the truth of God's promises and guarded with the assurance of His goodness and faithfulness.

We Western Christians do not suffer at all well today, we are barely any different to people who do not have our faith. This is a terrible tragedy and causes a lost world to turn away in confusion. Is one of the main reasons we suffer so down to our lack of hunger for the wholesome, soul-strengthening truth of God's word/
That question is almost rhetorical because I am certain that is so.

Simon

No comments: