Tuesday, October 21, 2008

C. J. Mahaney on Reading

One of my elders, thanks Andy, directed me to some absolutely enriching discussion(click here) between C.J. Mahaney and others on several topics relating to pastoral leadership.

The one I immediately was drawn to was their insights on A Pastor and Reading. I was not let down one bit. I have always said that for me personally one of the most beneficial contributors to my growth in desire for God and an ever-increasing love for Him has been reading. Mahaney powerfully and wholeheartedly agrees.
I thought I would just include a few confirming quotes
“[One reads to attend to the soul..] Abide close to the cross, dwell where the cries of Calvary can be heard!'(A quote by Spurgeon)
“Create a library of men that attend to your soul- read and meditate on their works.”

“Most new books are just repetitions of what has gone before!”

“The best way to serve your soul, your family, and your church is to devote time to reading & study.”

“I view reading and study as one of the most important ways that I can serve a church… the most effective way. Because the best way I can serve a church is by responding to the charge to watch my life and to watch my doctrine!”


Take these words to heart, honestly you cannot and will not be able to feed those in your flock (those whom you lead) unless you are feeding aggressively yourself on rich, soul-expanding books.

Simon

1 comment:

Steve said...

You might find the following blogs of interest. They talk about C.J. Mahaney and the group he leads.

www.sgmrefuge.com

www.sgmsurvivors.com

Steve