Wednesday, August 29, 2007

PC Sports Day

Celebrated my 31st birthday this week, which I can inform you is an absolute non-event. 30 seemed special in a strange way, except that I felt more conscious that I was making ground on 40 rather than the fact that I was only 10 years away from 20. Anyway, I digress. I spent the long weekend down with my sister and two nieces as part of the 'celebrations' and came across one of the most humouring concepts while in discussion with my sister.
My oldest niece had recently had a sports day at her school (if you can call 6-8 year old girls attempting to run sports) which my sister attended. But, get this, she was not allowed to cheer my niece on. Her school runs their sports day along the lines that it is not the performance of the individual that counts in any way, but the total performance of the team. I presume this is a form of politically correct support. Now I actually find this a little mental-- maybe it is my African background, but let me assure you my little Malachi will know very clearly that his dad is screaming out support and cheering him on to kick as much @%$£ as possible as he participates as a member of a team.
How do you try impress upon your children any form of desire and passion for excellence? Is healthy competition something that we need to wean out of our children in order to produce a purer, better human race? ABSOLUTLEY NOT!!! What is going on with our culture... Help us Lord!

1 comment:

Matthew Hosier said...

How are the pull-ups going? Malachi beating you yet?!