Thursday, August 16, 2007

LFC

An amusing episode this past Saturday… As anyone this side of the Atlantic Ocean knows, the English Football season began at 12:45. It is an event that in many ways dominates the calendar of this secular nation. An author writing for the London Institute of Contemporary Christianity about 3 years ago noted that a word mentioned more than any other (including sex, celebrity etc.) in British printed media is football. Anyway, I digress.
The amusing episode involved my driving passion for the wonderful institution known as Liverpool Football Club—the mighty ‘reds.’ By the way this is going somewhere, so read on. This team dominated European football about 20-25 years ago but since the inception of the English Premier League are yet to win this prestigious title (While many other distasteful teams (you know who you are) have done). Thus as every season begins there is extreme anticipation we may ‘win it this year’ because we are more than capable, we just don’t. Bad starts are our ‘thorn in the flesh.’
Well my boys played on Saturday having not won an opening day fixture for 5 years. Total domination of the game, one nil up with 8 minutes to go & one of our best players handballs the ball in the 18 yard box penalty given: 1-1.
No, no, no, and I am cursing my love for this team. Why? It is always the same; so many chances, so much ability only to abuse the hearts of enthralled followers. O, sorry, before I forget our captain, Steven Gerrard (incidentally the world’s best player within the context of his team) scored a mind-boggling free kick two minutes later for us to win. Hoorah! From low to high in an instant. What I am getting to is this: Why must we support a team. Why is it in the blood as something so fully a part of the DNA that there is simply no chance it could be any other way. It is as if we are the ones chosen, not those who choose.
This reflects exactly what has been the story of my Christian experience. It is like I was won over by one whom is worthy of every ounce of passion, exuberance and devotion who I could not turn away from because He holds me, He enthralls me captivates me! Now that I am on this path it seems like I was destined, chosen (not cause I am a worthy or better ‘fan’ than any other) to follow this One. Unlike the Reds though, this One never fails me. He owns the Title- Lord of Lords, King of Kings- and will never lose it to any other fake contenders.

No comments: