Friday, July 3, 2009

The Romance of Preaching

As I had mentioned in my last post I have been reading Preaching & Preachers by Martyn Lloyd Jones and it has been extremely beneficial to me. It seems to me that I have very few conversations with individuals where there is an almost unhindered joy as they speak of preaching that is affecting their lives. Again and again I will hear people recount their love for worship within their church context, or how they love the expression of Spiritual Gifts, but alas, very few times do I have conversations like this regarding preaching. I find this a great tragedy. I think there are multiple doors at which to lay the blame, but it is very sad.

Lloyd Jones would echo my sentiments exactly, I think he would be heartbroken at this age of 'preaching' within churches. Why am I so certain of that? Well listen to these words that expose his thoughts regarding preaching and the wonder of it

"Let us hurry on to something much more important - the romance of preaching! There is nothing like it. It is the greatest work in the world, the most thrilling, the most exciting, the most rewarding, and the most wonderful. I know nothing comparable to the feeling one has as one walks up the steps [now the pulpit certainly is not 'up' any stairs] of one's pulpit with a fresh sermon on a Sunday morning or a Sunday evening, especially when you feel that you have a message from God and are longing to give it to the people."


His words betray his idea of the importance and prominence of preaching I think. Maybe he was just a product of his time and church has moved on? I do not think so at all.

Preachers, is that the way you feel about preaching. Is it something of such significance to you that you labour in prayer and preparation to present the greatest 'fresh' words for the joy of your peoples and the glory of God? Or is it just the dull part of the meeting after the worship, which gets a minor percentage of the time in your gathering time?

Lord restore preaching that transforms lives and explodes the minds and affections of hearers with the glorious truths of the word of God!

Simon

1 comment:

TWR said...

Great post!

I 'lead worship' at my church, and know first hand people's focus on the 'worship time' - I have been, and sometimes am, that person - focussed on the music and worship time rather than God's Word.

Yet, generally, when I have my focus right - I LOVE the preaching. It really is one of my favourite parts of the times we gather.

I know from a relatively hard last couple of years, that being pointed to, and hearing from, God is what's best for me.

I really do wish others thought the same too. One thing that I've been really noticing in myself, and also in others, is my lack of praying for our Pastor before he speaks on a Sunday. Myself, and the band, get prayed for before ther service, and yet no one really prays for the Pastor/speaker. It's something I know I need to sort out in myself and hope others will do the same...

Anyway, ramble over. Great post.