Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Marriage for Holiness not Happiness (Part I)

Speaking at a couple’s wedding in 3 weeks and have been reading a book I read before my own marriage to help me with my preparation. It is called Sacred Marriage and it poses the question, “What if God designed marriage to make us holy more than to make us happy?”
This is a question of fundamental importance that actually enables us to work through all the externals and marriage and get to the biblical reason for marriage. To get married without any relationship to God seems almost impossible for me as it denies a basic biological maxim. Males of the species mate with many of the females in order to ensure the continuation of the gene. This ensures that ‘the strong survive.’ Without God we are just animals, why commit your life to just one person if there is no other ‘divine’ reason for this relationship?
Well here is a quote to chew on, and I may place a few more on this blog in the coming weeks:

We need to be called out of ourselves because, in truth, we are incomplete. God made us to find our fulfilment in Him—the Totally Other. Marriage shows us that we are not all there is; it calls us to give way to another, but also to find joy, happiness, and even ecstasy in another.

No comments: