Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Prayer?

Earlier this year I heard a very wise teacher muse on prayer for a while. His musings were wonderful really. I left that time conscious of a wonderful place of faith that is possible for us in prayer but also desperately aware that I am in that place terribly infrequently.
This ‘place of faith’ that he spoke of would be when we have a conscious awareness of being ‘within the throne room of God’ in a similar way to Isaiah’s encounter with God described in Chapter 6 of the book in his name. Here we see that Isaiah is actually in a place where he is overhearing the voice of Yahweh and the declaration of the angels. My wise teacher friend noted that he thought a place similar to this is possible for us in our prayer life; coming to a place where we are ‘conscious’ of having open court with the King of Kings and the Lord of Lords.

As certain as I am that I want often to reach this place in prayer, I am sentient of an ache within alerting me to a shallow prayer life on the whole. I was mentored in prayer for almost 6 months before I left the USA to come to England and my mentor had a strategy of prayer that worked on a similar premise. One needs to get to a ‘place of abiding’ in the heavenlies with Christ before interceding in His name and with His power. (See John 15 where we read the stunning words about abiding in Christ and receiving all that we ask for in prayer.) On leaving the USA I went through a time of pain that I think has sidelined me from this deep place of prayer ever since.

I am certain that many of us are nowhere near the place of prayer that is available to us that has with it such glorious effect. I dare you to join me in longing for that place of faith in prayer where we are in the throne room having open court with the King.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen to that