Thursday, September 20, 2007

Too Long

"It's been too long!" I must write these words in my journal everytime I open its pages to catch up on all that has gone down since I last put pen to ink in there. As a Christian I find that life is not necessarily all about beating up on bad demon dudes that are around every corner trying to beat the crap out of you and stop living a life that Jesus would be content with. Life is more about bringing glory to God and reflecting Jesus in the midst of the ever-speeding-upness that is typical of this age we are in.
So, to take as a very small example, this blog! I have really wanted to reflect a lot of my thoughts and musings on this little blogamajig and would count it as an ever-so-slight part of my keeping in touch with life and thinking it out so to speak, but, as with the journal, life seems to be beating me to everything. I am in the rat race but often everything gets to the finish line before me on a day to day basis if you know what I mean.

So much of life is about balance and stability, in fact one of the signs of immaturity is a lack of that balance. Balance seems so unattractive. "Hey what do you want to do with your life?" "BE BALANCED" Mmm doesn't seem to cut it, and yet if you really think about it a good life, a fantastic life in fact, is when everything is kind of fitting together: Work, pleasure, energy consumption, sleep, pain, joy and so on.
I want to work this out and now I am married it is even more complex to maintain this balance at times. I want to cherish moments with the wife, I want to watch my beautiful son grow up (a little on that later), I want to do all I need to do to show Jesus to the people in my church and in my neighborhood, and often just want to chill and get deep intimate moments with the saviour who has won my affections. This mix often is imbalanced at some point. I want the good life, so do not want to be saying those words, "Too long" for much longer. I hope.

No comments: